Looking ahead to 2017: Membership and all other charges to rise
To all valued members of the Ellingham Show Society, I would like to inform you and to ask for your support for our increase in charges next year – for members, entrance charges, exhibitors’ and other fees.
First, the actual amounts:
- Members’ subscriptions fees for next year will rise to £20.00 for a single person; £35.00 for a couple; and £40.00 for a family. These rises – the first since 2012 – will enable us to continue to provide the level of Membership facilities that you have come to expect. As you are aware, rather than showing one is a keen supporter of the show, Membership has for many become simply a way of getting in cheaply
- Gate fees will rise to £10.00 for concessions (pensioners) and £12.00 for a single adult ticket. Children up to the age of 16 and car parking will continue to be free.
- Exhibitors, Trade Stands and Competitors fees will also be increasing.
Second, the explanation:
- These rises are brought upon us by our landlords, the Somerley estate.
- While they respect our charitable status, they are looking for fees that are closer to that which they could raise from a commercial letting of the site. They have told us that this is more than six times what we currently pay for the eighty acres that we occupy. This commercial rate takes into account the week for our preparations, the Show itself and the subsequent dismantling and repairs we have to make. While they are not looking to us to necessarily achieve this rate we do need to begin to bridge the gap.
- Naturally we have considered alternative sites but have decided we should stay at Somerley. As you’d expect, we are also looking at all our costs and sources of income. Whenever we can, we already make use of unpaid volunteers, including the whole of the organising committee.
- We would of course also welcome your ideas and suggestions to further underpin our society and its future as a supporter of our chosen local and national charities, to whom we have this year given over £15,000.
Thanking you for your continued support.